This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Thirty-six multiparous Holstein cows were fed a mixture of corn silage and concentrate [1:1; dry matter (DM) basis] and long hay (0.9 kg/d) through wk 18 of lactation. Beginning at 30 d prepartum through wk 4 of lactation, the total mixed rations of 18 of these cows were top-dressed daily with 10 g of Biomate® Yeast Plus® (Chr. Hansen's, Inc., Milwaukee, WI). The other 18 cows served as controls. At wk 5, both control and treated cows were divided into three groups and fed 0, 10, or 20 g/d of yeast. Yeast supplementation during early lactation significantly improved DM intake, milk yield, and the digestibility of crude protein and acid detergent fiber. Least squares means for DM intake, fat-corrected milk yield, crude protein digestibility, and acid detergent fiber digestibility for cows fed 0, 10, 20 g/d of yeast during wk 5 to 18 of lactation were 23.8, 24.7, and 25.0 kg/d; 37.7, 40.7, and 41.4 kg/d; 78.5, 80.8, and 79.5%; and 54.4, 60.2, and 56.8%, respectively. Although numerical responses in DM intake and milk yield were greater for cows fed 20 g/d of yeast than for cows fed 10 g/d of yeast, the response was not significant.
- Effect of yeast culture on nutrient digestibility and milk response in early to midlactation dairy cows.J. Dairy Sci. 1990; 73: 1560-1563
- Official Methods of Analyses. Vol. I. AOAC, Arlington, VA1990 15th ed.
- A technique for placement of an indwelling catheter in the cow.Vet. Med. Small Anim. Clin. 1968; 63: 1141-1144
- Current and future role of yeast culture in animal production: a review of research over the last seven years.in: Lyons T.P. Biotechnology in the Feed Industry. Alltech Tech. Publ., Nicholasville, KY1993: 269-291
- Effect of yeast culture supplement on production, rumen fermentation, and duodenal nitrogen flow in dairy cows.J. Dairy Sci. 1992; 75: 3056-3065
- Effect of yeast culture and sodium bicarbonate on milk yield and composition in dairy cows.J. Dairy Sci. 1989; 72: 1929-1932
- Influence of addition of yeast culture supplement to diets of lactating cows on ruminal fermentation and microbial populations.J. Dairy Sci. 1988; 71: 2967-2975
- Effect of yeast culture and Aspergillus oryzae extract on milk yield in a commercial herd.J. Dairy Sci. 1994; 77: 343-348
- Effect of direct-fed microbials on rumen microbial fermentation.J. Dairy Sci. 1992; 75: 1736-1744
- Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle.6th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Sci., Washington, DC1989
- Microbial feed additives for ruminants.in: Wallace R.J. Chesson A. Biotechnology in Animal Feeds and Animal Feeding. VCH Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, Weinheim, Germany1995: 259-278
- Mode of action of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a feed additive for ruminants.Br. J. Nutr. 1996; 76: 249-261
- Effects of yeast on dairy cow performance, ruminal fermentation, blood components, and milk manufacturing properties.J. Dairy Sci. 1993; 76: 2717-2722
- Effect of yeast culture in the diets of early lactation dairy cows on ruminal fermentation and passage of nitrogen fractions and amino acids to the small intestine.J. Dairy Sci. 1997; 80: 374-384
- Effect of yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on adaptation of cows to diets postpartum.J. Dairy Sci. 1997; 80: 1119-1125
SAS® User's Guide: Statistics, Version 5 Edition. 1985. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC.
- Effect of yeast cultures on performance of lactating dairy cows: a field study.J. Dairy Sci. 1994; 77: 3073-3080
- Appendix to Fibertec Manual.Tecator, Hogänäs, Sweden1978
Technicon. 1977. Urea nitrogen. Technicon Industrial Method No. 339-01. Technicon Ind. Syst., Tarrytown, NY.
- Effect of yeast culture and Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on ruminal characteristics and nutrient digestibility.J. Dairy Sci. 1987; 70: 2063-2068
- A dairy body condition scoring system and its relationship to selected production characteristics.J. Dairy Sci. 1982; 65: 495-501
- Effects of the inclusion of yeast culture (Saccharomyces cervisiae plus growth medium) in the diet of dairy cows on milk yield and forage degradation and fermentation patterns in rumen of steers.J. Anim. Sci. 1991; 69: 3016-3026
- Blood constituents in lactating Holstein cows influenced by hematocrit, sampling site, and diet protein and calcium.J. Dairy Sci. 1984; 67: 2236-2246
- Yeast culture to improve intake, nutrient digestibility, and performance by dairy cattle during early lactation.J. Dairy Sci. 1991; 74: 1395-1400
- Effects of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on ruminal fermentation in dairy cows.J. Dairy Sci. 1996; 79: 411-417
Accepted: January 12, 1998
Received: September 22, 1997
© 1998 American Dairy Science Association. Published by Elsevier Inc.
User licenseElsevier user license |
How you can reuse
Elsevier's open access license policy
Elsevier user license
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy